This blog is being established as a record of our Mother's medical journey, which began on August 28, 2010... through and to recovery.... It will also serve as way for her family and friends to follow along with us on this long journey. For together we are stronger, with you and with Faith we will handle all there is to come. We Thank You for all your good wishes, positive thoughts and continued prayers!

~Lori, Monica and Jeanette~







Friday, March 25, 2011

cRaZy, Wild Dreams...


Three days into recovery and it’s been slow going… Mom’s having difficulty speaking because of a drain they have going through her nose, down her throat and into her stomach to relieve the upper GI tract of bile and/or gas in order to facilitate the healing of her upper and lower GI tract. Her throat is really, really sore and it’s hard for her to talk.

They’ve had her sitting up in a chair and walking the entire corridor… It took longer to unhook, detangle all the wires and tubes than it did to walk all around!! Then she has this unwieldy IV ‘xmas tree’ apparatus of machines she has to push around… Mom’s feisty this time around though! When the nurse said, “You’re supposed to use and hold onto the IV tree to help stabilize you while you walk.” Mom retorted, “You try pushing this heavy thing!” The nurse did try and had trouble moving it… So there was Mom, holding onto Monica for support and the nurse pushing the unwieldy IV tree up and around the 3rd floor!! Afterward Mom apologized to her nurse for ‘snapping’ at her but that thing IS HEAVY!

Tomorrow (Saturday 03/26) they are supposed to start removing all the tubes and probably begin introducing food. Mom has not had anything to eat since Monday (03/21) and then it was only ‘clear liquids’.

When I got there this morning (Friday 03/25) Mom was dozing… about half an hour later she woke and said her night was okay. Her throat still hurts and they’re giving her Cepecol lozenges to suck on for relief. Then she asked me, “Do you know anything about the roses from David? I think Jeanette took them.” I said, “No Mom. I don’t know anything about that, I’ll text Jeanette and ask” … then Mom said, “Jeanette was here earlier and she was checking Greg’s teeth” … At that point I started thinking this might be the result of pain meds and no food!!

Jeanette replied to my text message with, “HUH? I haven’t been by yet today and I don’t know about any roses!” :-D Yep! I think, definitely the drugs… While Mom slept I spoke with her nurse. Her nurse said, “No, no roses have been delivered and no one’s been here earlier.” She confirmed my theory that this may be due to the Benedryl injection they gave her for the rash from the medical tape, combined with the pain meds… Nurse said she’d keep an eye on her!

This evening, Mom was in good spirits and looking forward to having all the tubes removed and eating again. She says the medical staff all comment on how tiny she is… She tells them, “If you weren’t being fed you’d be tiny too!” Then she told us, “I think I’ll ask for another Benedryl injection around midnight… It helped me sleep good!” OH BOY!! Let the cRaZy wild dreams begin…

No comments:

Post a Comment